Thursday, September 18, 2008

A bureaucracy update

I went with our secretary to apply for our temporary residency permits.

To backtrack, we had gotten permission for Yisroel to hand in my application. I filled everything out before I went to New York, and spent a morning and part of an afternoon signing a power-of-attorney. But when Yisroel went to apply, they refused to accept my, or the kids, applications.

Then we got back here, and I was supposed to go last week to finally give them in. I arranged a babysitter and everything. But then we discovered that one of our friends in the immigration hierarchy was no longer working there, and another was on vacation. so it took a week, and Yisroel met with a new director. We received permission to hand in our documents today.

So today I shlepped with our secretary and Baila (smile ammunition) for a 2:00 appointment. We climbed 3 flights of stairs (no elevator, I was holding Baila, and our secretary uses a cane), and pounded on the door. It was finally opened after our secretary banged her cane tip on the door. But, we were told, the woman we needed to see was out to lunch. Lunch should be over at 2 (It was 2 at the time) so we should go walk around for half an hour to an hour. Anyway, we sat down an a windowsill to wait, because G-d forbid we should be offered a chair, and a few minutes later a woman passed by. We told her who we were waiting for, and she grunted and walked on past us. So our secreatry called up after her "Any idea if she'll be here soon?" To which we receivedd, for reply, the information that this woman was the one we were supposed to meet. Thanks for telling us. There's nothing like Russia's customer service.

Anyway, to make a long story short, we waited for a long time, while they searched through the documents, trying to find some mistake. They discovered, to their delight, that 2 forms that I filled out 2 months ago have since been changed. I need to get the new forms, fill them out, and then we can hand in the documents.

I just overheard our secretary on the phone, explaining a little frustratedly that no, there are 2 kids. One is Menachem, and one is Menucha.

We are hopeful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Baila smile and charm everyone??
WE are missing you all!

Anonymous said...

She fell asleep in my arms. I was yelled at - 'what did i bring a baby for?'. But they told me that I don't have to come next time, I can just send our secretary. Yisroel says that was the Baila charm.

Anonymous said...

Sound like your poor secretary doesn't have such an easy time of it either (walking up three flights of stairs with a cane)!

Alizah said...

she kvetched about it plenty, beleive me!