Monday, February 9, 2009

Week(s) in Review

Quick one, because I got to get home and make dinner.

1. We spent last Shabbos in Birobidzhan. Really fun trip. We flew to Khabarovsk, and then drove to Birobidzhan, usually a 2.5 hour ride, but, due to snow and icy weather, and lack of street cleaning and a car without snow wheels, it took us 5.5 hours. Then we raced to get dressed and go the bar mitzva we went in for. The have a beautiful Jewish museum there, made by the rabbi and is wife. (Well, mostly his wife who is an amazing artist.) Maybe some other day I'll post pictures.

2. I attended synagogue this past Shabbos. I've been going lately, but this week I wasn't going to, becuase only one woman shows up, and she was out of town this week. But then I went. And two ladies came! And one of then was youngish! And close to a minyan of men. And good food, including chicken soup. (Did I ever mention that our chicken came for Shabbos? We are now chicken-eating people again, haivng gone for three months without)

3. We had guests over Shabbos day - first time in a while. It was a bit draining, but really nice.

4. English school is going well. The kids really like it. I have discovered that, despite my fears, I have not forgotton how to teach. We are searching for a new place to hold it, as it is difficult to do it my living room, and another teacher.

5. Yesterday, we hosted out women's club for Tu B'shvat. A doctor came and spoke about spices. Espcially which ones are good for health, and which ones are not. Pretty boring for me, since I didn't really understand it, but the ladies really enjoyed. We sold some old copies of Mir Evreiski Zhenshina, a Russian Jewish magazine for women. So some people read the magazine during the doctor's speech, but they insisted that they enjoyed anyway. About 15 people showed up. Then we played a fun game. And everyone's really excited about our next club, which is in 3 weeks! Time to get cracking on that.

6. Some great friends of ours are making some problems for us, and insisting that we have an improper visa. The court case is on Wednesday, 3 PM. Pray for us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You, your children and your husband the Rabbi will remain in my prayers. Thank you for all the work that you do in Vladivostok for the Jewish community there. Your courage and dedication inspires me.