Monday, January 12, 2009

The White Stuff

It snowed here for the first time yesterday.

I am trying to figure out why it never snows in Vladivostok. I don't understand it, because in the spring there is so much precipitation here, that it rains almost every day. I have asked everyone, from my babysitter to my friends to our secretary to the ladies at my women's club. The only answer I received was that it has something to do with the climate here and the geographical location. Then again, this answer was in Russian, so I may have not got it all.

So when it snowed, my babysitter and I agreed that it was especially for me.

They don't bother to plow the streets here. 2 inches of snow get driven over by thousands of cars, or walked on by hundred of feet, depending on the location. That flattens them down to just a thin layer of really slippery snow.

Since it doesn't snow that often here, the event gets blown out of proportion when it does. We began our STARS group again on Sunday, which was well recieved and decently attended despite the weather.

Mendel and I had blast with the snow today I showed him how to make snow angels, and I'm lucky saw, because the Russians are terrified of anything resembling cold. The snow wasn't wet enough to make snowballs, though.

No comments: