Monday, May 19, 2008

the quickest, most delicious dessert

I make these bars just about every week, and sometimes more than once. They are like delicious chewy chocolate chip cookies, but way easier. They take me exactly 10 minutes to mix and place in the pan, and 22 minutes to bake. I’ve been making them for a lot of weeks – I have this down to a science. We don’t always have all the ingredients here, so I’ve tried all sorts of omissions, additions, and variations. Basically, the recipe always works out. I never bother with a mixer – I just mix with a fork and my hand. They

I will shamelessly admit that I lifted the recipe from the chocolate chip bag. This one is the Bloom’s version, with just a few minor changes.

1 C oil (or margarine, if you prefer the hydrogenated fat)

1 C sugar (you need 1 ½ C sugar all together – you can change the proportions of white and brown)

½ C brown sugar

2 tsp vanilla (can be skipped)

2 eggs

1 1/3 C flour (you can double the flour and skip the oats, if you prefer)

1 tsp baking powder (or baking soda – just mix well if you use baking soda)

1 tsp salt

2 C oats (quick or otherwise)

Chocolate chips (the package calls for 10 oz.; I use about 3)

Preheat oven to 350⁰. I have no idea how to make a degrees sign. That little thing is my substitute. Hey, just like my recipe, the substitute even better than the real thing. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.

Mix eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and oats. Place dough in pan, patting down and filling the corners. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until edges just start to brown. Bake longer if you prefer crispy cookies.

Cut into bars (sometimes I do 24, sometimes 48, and sometimes triangles), preferably while still warm, but can do while cool or even hot.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering what to bake for Shabbat this week. This is great. I'll try my own variations and let you know how it turns out!

Sara Silberstein said...

we made your bars for shabbos, and it was really delicious!!!!